Edit

for questions and conversations regarding estimating projects with The Assistant Estimating System
J.gilbert

Edit

Post by J.gilbert » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Is there a way to edit multiple lines in an estimate?

Example: I Didn't put in the Room # and I Have 10 Lines I need to put the Room # into.

Can I put it all 10 Lines at the same time?

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:37 pm

For just ten lines, I would go ahead and edit them thru the Edit a line item tool.

There is a way to unprotect your takeoff and then copy/paste though. It can create problems if not done properly (that's why we protect the takeoff in the first place) I'm guessing you would like to know how to do that.

First, save your bid file so if you mess things up you can close it without saving and reopen the estimate without damage. Some of the takeoff data is in formula, while other parts are in text. For area, room, or detail you can edit them by first editing one line by using the edit line item form. After that you can unprotect the takeoff by going to the menu bar Format|Sheet| and then selecting the protection tab. Uncheck the "enable cell locking" checkbox.

Now you are free to copy/paste your revised room number or other location data. DO NOT DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ..
Do not edit alternate info this way
Do not edit item prices this way
Do not edit markups this way
Do not edit category info this way
Do not edit spec name or finish this way

Re-protect when done.

J.gilbert

Post by J.gilbert » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:54 pm

Thank you that was exactly what I was looking for.

vcwjeff
contributor

editing area names / room #'s

Post by vcwjeff » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Another way that I've found is to clone the rooms that you need to change the names of, change the names in the clone dialog, then delete the original items. This is also useful for changing quantities of items.

John Whitling
All knowing

Re: editing area names / room #'s

Post by John Whitling » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:19 pm

vcwjeff wrote:Another way that I've found is to clone the rooms that you need to change the names of, change the names in the clone dialog, then delete the original items. This is also useful for changing quantities of items.
Very good tip. That clone tool comes in handy when used creatively!

J.gilbert

Post by J.gilbert » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:01 pm

I as well have recently discovered that. It does work very well I also use it for multiples that are similar then just change or add the few cabinets that are diff or delete the cabinets I do not need.

vcwjeff
contributor

Post by vcwjeff » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:42 pm

***My bad, it works as I expected, nevermind***
I've found somthing that may be a program issue related to the clone tool, but I posted it in the enhancement request section. Please see the following and email me if you have any questions about what I'm asking for.

viewtopic.php?t=73