How Do I handle Deduct Alternatives

for questions and conversations regarding estimating projects with The Assistant Estimating System

How Do I handle Deduct Alternatives

Post by artek » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:10 pm

I am preparing a bid that requires an alternative that will be a deduct. I know I can just use the positive numbers but then I need to remind myself that it is a deduct. It will also not give the actual cost difference if there are other items in the alternative that are adds.

I put a negative number (-197) in the factor field and it was treated as a positive number. How can Gen-2 handle deducts from the scope? I also have found that the quantity field will not accept negatives.

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 am

Just edit the item that is an alternate, and then put in an alternate number in the alt/phase control in the upper right of the edit form. Click add and end. You will be prompted for alternate info at that point. In the dropdown, select deduct alternate -- not included in base bid. Fill in a description that will show in the bid letter and the project summary, then click OK. That should automatically do what you want. No negative numbers required ..

Does that help?