Sub-contracts in take-off

for questions and conversations regarding estimating projects with The Assistant Estimating System
artek
contributor

Sub-contracts in take-off

Post by artek » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:36 am

I would like to include a sub-contract in my take-off. How can do this. I have been looking at the buy-out catagory. Am I on the right track?

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Yes, the buy out category a good place to go, especially id you want to use the "buyout' markup. Enter the cost in the appropriate material tab. You can add a new part or use a dollarpart part number. If it's install related, such as subcontracted install, add it on the install matls tab. Otherwise you'll want to put it on a mfg matl tab.

And you can also add labor for your contracted item such as engineering labor, etc, on the labor tab.

Lastly you can edit the description in the green box area and then drop it into your estimate. Does that help?

artek
contributor

Post by artek » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:57 pm

I tried the install material under buy-outs but that does not work with install excluded. What does work is buy-out in the mfg. material. It then shows up as mfg. material on the summary page, which is not ideal. I can filter out the sub-contracts in the descriptiion column in the item report.

It looks as though I will figure out an elegant way to handle and present sub-contracts.

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm afraid I don't understand the problem. Are you looking to get buy outs priced in a separate category or to be able to pick them out of your base bid? If you're looking to be able to pick them out of your base bid you can always use the alternates entry, and make an entry like "buy out" in the alternate area. Then you'll get a separate price for all line items that will appear in the summary and on the bid letters. Is that what you're looking for?

artek
contributor

Post by artek » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Yes John, that is what I have tried. I have put sub-contract in the alt/phase field. This way it does separate the sub-contracts from the in- house stuff. I see a problem with this in larger bids that also have alternates or phasing though. I will probably just use the buy out catagory with "sub-contract" in the description to handle sub-contracts and use the filter in item report when I need to see them all at once to total etc.

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Well, it sounds like you've found the way you want to do this, but there's a lot of ways to skin a cat. Opps, I hope you're not a cat fanatic! Anyway, if you want to address this some more we do an Internet training session and see what the issues are, each way for you. Just let me know.

BTW, thanks for using the forum!