Clone Tool Glitch Using Metric

for questions and conversations regarding estimating projects with The Assistant Estimating System
artek
contributor

Clone Tool Glitch Using Metric

Post by artek » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:47 pm

I am doing a bid using metric measurements. The metric feature in the software seem to work fine, with a few exceptions. When I use the clone tool to clone an elevation, the new elevation comes up with imperial units. I think I have only done this with scope items made in the casework auto-entry. When I go to edit the cloned items, they revert to the metric units when I "add and end".

The other glitch, which is not much trouble, is that the metric equivalents to the imperial standards, don't convert properly. ie. When I am doing a backsplash, the imperial measurement is 4", the metric standard is 100mm, Gen 2 seems to provide 102mm. Another example is counter thickness. Imperial standard of 1.5" converts to 39mm. The metric standard is 38mm. Probably just a rounding factor and not fixable.

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks for using te forum! Now on to your issues .. I have just tested cloning metric items and they work fine on this end. I have to say though, that the testing was done with our latest update, which is just starting to be sent out to users.

As for the metric defaults, we can edit those for you and judging from the changes you want to make, we might make them part of our default setup as well.

Send me your AMS master estimate file and the AMSLibrary file and I'll have a look and apply the update as well for you. I would like to see if the update fixes the metric display problem in cloning.

artek
contributor

Post by artek » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:21 am

Hi John, I have edited the styles table with the proper metric default sizes. That looks like it is a powerful tool. I will spend some time today on the cloning tool and try to recreate the problem with metric cloning.

On another note, I have created a catagory called "blank line" in that I am using to unclutter the take off and scope screens.

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 am

Blank line, eh? That's a nice idea that other users might be interested in.

cco1

Post by cco1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:47 pm

artek wrote:On another note, I have created a catagory called "blank line" in that I am using to unclutter the take off and scope screens.
Hi artek,

Would you mind letting me know how you made out with the "blank line" item? Did you set this up in the Custom Library and were you happy with the results?

Chris

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:34 am

Since Artek hasn't jumped in here yet, yes he did create the item in the custom library so he could insert a "blank" line between elevations, etc. It works fine.

However there is another easier (IMO) way to create a gap between areas and that is to drag the row height down of your last item so that that the last line in an area is tall, thus creating a visual break. This way you don't have to drop a blank item into your bid. Just a thought ..

artek
contributor

Post by artek » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 am

Welcome Chris, hi John,

I created a blankline catagory in the custom library. It has "0" or blank values in all the fields.

I like the idea of making the first line higher in a new elevation or room to provide a visual break, but that does not provide the second benefit of a blank line.

I have found that new lines can not be inserted in the take-off worksheet. As is inevitable, I often miss things and need to go back and add items to a room or rooms. I leave 3 blank lines between rooms and 1 or 2 blank lines between elevations.

John, do that these blank lines, which constitute up to 20% of the lines in a take-off, cause a lot of additional burden on the underlying database?
I ask because the file size of estimates with several hundred lines is well over 10MB and I have two estimates that are close to 30MB, too large for easy transfer to other people.

cco1

Post by cco1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi artek & John,

I used the "insert line" method recently but not at the "takeoff" tab, but at the "project scope" tab. It did not appear to affect anything and I was pleased w/ the end result as I like to see the break between rooms too. The only draw back is if you have to insert additional items, thus having to "run new scope", which puts you back were you started. I have also noticed that if you change the row height in the "takeoff" tab this formatting does not carry over to the "project scope" tab. But I have noticed that if you format the "row" in the "takeoff" tab and put a border line on the bottom of each "row" were you want to have a break, this formatting will carry over to the "project scope" tab. The only problem is that it ends at "column E" and does not carry across the complete "description" at the "project scope" tab, and can be confirmed during "print preview".

What is the criteria behind being able to format (border, font, height etc.) within a "row" at the "takeoff" tab, but when trying to "insert a row" at the "takeoff" tab the end result is "Protected cell or block"?

Chris

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:16 am

Hi guys .. good to see some customer collaboration going on here. I understand the desires to add blank lines in a takeoff to separate elevations, etc. However the system has to track the lines in order to know where to insert the next takeoff items. That is the problem we must deal with because otherwise we would have to ask you somehow (thru cursor position for instance) where you would like to insert a new item.

In addition, sorting the takeoff sheet isn't practical, adding to the problem of grouping items that go into a common room or elevation. For now we have to deal with these limitations. Adding blank lines is a bit of a solution to this problem, in that it can provide a visual break between rooms or elevations. However it seems that it would be difficult to later convert those blank lines into additional entries for a room unless it was a custom item that you were adding.

I guess one thing we might consider is to offer a way for users to insert a line somewhere in the takeoff so that items can be added to the takeoff at a particular location within your takeoff but that will require some effort and means we'll have yet one more button on the takeoff sheet to do that. Still it sounds like this is a bit of a problem for users so it's worth putting on our list of enhancement requests.

As for the questions of increasing file sizes by entering blank lines. It does add minimally to the file size, but very minimally. As for the file sizes, yes they can be big. When you consider all the different materials and labor calculations the size of files is reasonable. Many customers produce 30-50 meg files routinely. They do zip up quite well. For instance a 100 meg file (some jobs are that big!) will zip down to under 2 megs in size.

As for inserting blank lines on the scope, certainly that is do-able. The scope can be fully edited using typical spreadsheet type of editing. If you want to update a scope after adding a few items consider just copying those item descriptions and locations from the takeoff and then pasting them onto the scope sheet. Alternately you can copy your existing scope to one of the blank worksheets so you can work with it later to compose a scope like you want it to be.